Wednesday, October 05, 2005

How I Acted Like A Grown Up Tonight

So, my roommate, whom I will refer to as Hannah, had a computer crisis tonight when I was on the phone talking to Mariah. So I gave her the "I'm busy give me a minute/fuck off" signal and she disappeared. I went into her room to fix her computer. The computer basically is dead and after contacting a computer nerd friend of mine, discussing the issue we came to the conclusion that the harddrive would have to be swiped. Hannah asks me if I can save any of her files on my external hard drive. Now, normally I would say yes, but there are two major problems with this. Problem 1 is that my hard drive is formatted to be Mac only. Problem 2 is that I can't get to her information because her computer won't boot. So, I explain to her that I can't do that and state the aforementioned reasons. I then wipe her hard drive and let her computer start over new. She keeps asking about all of her files, and I explain that there will be nothing left. So, then she ends up calling her mom at about 1:30 AM and is crying on the phone hysterical about the bad day she had. Nothing wrong with that, except if I'm calling my mom that late I better be in the hospital or suicidal. I digress. So, she's on the phone with her mom and I ask her if she has the CD from the school UITS services so I can set up her internet. She gives me the CD and as I am setting things up she asks if she still has all of her bookmarks. I explain that she'll have nothing left and she starts raising her voice to me and going "well I don't know I'm computer illiterate!"
I calmly retort "Hannah, please do not yell at me."
"I have every right to yell because I am upset."
"Hannah I understand that you're upset, but don't yell at me." She then continues to raise her voice at me so I calmly get up out of her chair and leave the room. As I leave the room she is sobbing violently on the phone about how she can't take all of this stress. As I was sitting there it made me realize that my mom was right and that she's just an immature kid. It also reminded me how AGB once told me that I was warm and compassionate to all of my friends, but extremely cool to those who bugged me. It's hard to be sympathetic to her issues with her ex-boyfriend when I think he's in the right. She treated him poorly. I feel bad that she had a bad day. We all have them and they are without a doubt difficult to deal with in general. It's hard to be in a fight, have your ex say it is officially over, and lose everything on your computer. I am just glad that I kept my cool.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home